All about Em.
Everything you ever wanted to know about me and then some.
From a very early age, I was a talker.
While I'm not entirely sure what my first word was (because hey, I was a baby), I can undoubtedly confirm that I have always been chatty and inquisitive. For people who know me, it's probably no surprise that I wound up in the communications field, but for me, it was a little bit more of a process. While attending school at Hampshire College, my academic advisor of 4 years ultimately deemed me the quietest talkative person he'd ever met. And to this day I don't disagree. I'm definitely reserved to a point and share something only when I feel that it's important.
That said, I've come out of my shell quite a bit in the years since graduating, and in large part, this change is due to working in publicity. My time at William Morrow (an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers) encouraged me to be bold, upfront, and outspoken when it came to my projects. And that's not a bad thing, right? This time also afforded me the opportunity to work on an array of titles ranging from paperback originals to lifestyle to e-originals to memoir to narrative nonfiction to thrillers, and the fact is, I enjoy it all.
A sampling of my past campaigns include: Two Turns From Zero by Stacey Griffith, Aim True by Kathryn Budig, The Precious One by Marisa de los Santos, Girl in a Band by Kim Gordon, Savage Harvest by Carl Hoffman, Hush Hush by Laura Lippman, All I Love and Know by Judith Frank, The Mystics of Mile End by Sigal Samuel, Sex With Shakespeare by Jillian Keenan, Glop by Gabby Moss, Auto Biography by Earl Swift, Set the Boy Free by Johnny Marr, Altamont by Joel Selvin, Emily Post's Etiquette: 19th Edition by Lizzie Post and Daniel Post Senning, Notes on a Banana by David Leite, Girl in the Moonlight by Charles Dubow, Celebrate Everything by Darcy Miller, Shock and Awe by Simon Reynolds, Tippi by Tippi Hedren, V Street by Rich Landau, Love Wins by Jim Obergefell, and 10% Happier by Dan Harris.
While I could walk you through the minutia of my previous work and experiences, I thought it would be more fun to share some personal factoids:
- My favorite scents are citronella, gasoline, and leather
- That said, I've been a vegetarian nearly my entire life
- I've never met a mushroom I didn't like
- Puns are life and (good) sarcasm is not a defense mechanism
- I read ... a lot ... but I've only ever re-read two books: The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Great Expectations
- If you let me, I will put sriracha on everything and cut the tags out of all of my clothes (sorry mom!)
- I have an unshakable love for Mel Brooks
- Growing up, I always wanted to be Bobbi Brown
- Some past and present nicknames include, but are not limited to: Midge, Mimi, Mimela, Cream Puff, Ems, Hommie, and "Hey, you over there"
- Despite the fact that my adolescent bedroom is decorated in 6 shades of purple, my favorite color is, in fact, green.